5 Common Pet Toxins in Your Home

As we prepare for National Animal Poison Prevention Week from March 19 to 25, let’s take a moment to reflect on the common household products that can be highly toxic and dangerous for our beloved pets. 

#1: Medicines

Pets, particularly food-motivated dogs, are prone to snatching up forgotten pills or raiding countertops for medication. Sadly, ingesting these medications can be life-threatening and require immediate action from pet owners. If your furry friend happens to accidentally swallow a pill or two (or an entire pack of beef-flavored heartworm preventives!), contact an animal poison control hotline right away before the situation worsens! 

#2: The kitchen

Your kitchen can be an incredibly enticing place for your fur baby, but it is also home to dangerous and potentially deadly treats. From chocolate and macadamia nuts to alcohol and xylitol, there are all sorts of hazardous foods that can cause severe illnesses like kidney failure or even poisoning in pets. To ensure that your pup doesn’t get into any mischief while you cook, keep them out of the kitchen – don’t forget to utilize a locking trashcan too! 

#3: Household chemicals

Keep your furry friend safe from the potential dangers of common household chemicals by storing them in a secure, pet-proof location. Make sure to secure the following substances away from prying paws:

  • Cleaning products
  • Disinfectants
  • Aerosol air fresheners and other products
  • Candles
  • Antifreeze
  • Windshield washer fluid
  • Paint
  • Glue
  • Nail polish remover


#4: Greenery

If you’re a pet owner, it’s essential to be aware of the potential risk posed by various houseplants. Lilies are especially hazardous for cats, and contact with their pollen has been known to be fatal! Similarly, dieffenbachia, elephant ear or spider plants can also do your furry friends harm, while ivy and oleander pose an equally dangerous hazard outdoors. Always check in with the ASPCA’s toxic plant list before bringing any flowers into your home or introducing new greenery to your garden – better safe than sorry! 

#5: Batteries and coins

There is a great risk of metal poisoning if your pet ingests batteries or coins, and even more so should they chew and puncture the battery. Chemical burns could result from doing this, while whole swallowed batteries may cause an intestinal blockage.

If you fear that your pet has encountered a hazardous material, don’t delay – contact our team right away.